Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What Not To Say

Weight 295 (finally! 1 pound from 90 total pounds lost)

As I lose weight I've noticed that people seem to have a hard time knowing what to say to me. Most comments border on being derogatory. Let me give an example. My grandfather saw me recently and said, "You look soooo much better! I can really notice it in your face. You have expression in it now and you didn't before."

Now, I realize that he was trying to be supportive and kind. I can't understand why people can't just say, "You're looking great." Why do they always have to give the additional put down? It's not like I don't know that I looked like crap before.

When approaching someone who has lost weight, why not ask how they are feeling? How about, "You look great. You must be feeling so good."?

Then there's the person who says something about someone they know that lost weight and now she's ugly. Why must you tell me these things? It's not like I can control my beauty. So I may end up ugly. What am I supposed to do?

My body will probably end up a saggy mess when I'm done but it's a far healthier cry from living as an obese person.

No comments: